Review: The Romanov Empress: A Novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna

The Romanov Empress: A Novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna The Romanov Empress: A Novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna by C.W. Gortner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a book I just couldn't put down. Most people have heard of Anastasia but this book is about her grandmother Maria from a poor royal family in Denmark. She marries young and becomes the tsarina of Russia and her sister marries Queen Victoria's son and ultimately becomes the queen of England. The author breathed life into a story I never knew I wanted to know. This is one of my favorite aspects of historical fiction because when it is done right, like this book, you want to research and learn more about real history.

Maria has Nicholas who becomes the last Tsar of Russia. You see everything she goes through from switching to a regal lifestyle and having to command a household of employees to politics, assassination attempts and the rioting that ultimately leads to the Russian Revolution. I loved how strong and compassionate Maria was. She frequented charity work and took nursing classes, anything she could do to help her people most in need. You even get glimpses of young Nicholas & his teen years to his surprising choice for his wife. I definitely want to go back and read an Anastasia book now that I feel like I know her grandmother and feel she would have been so much like her.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of this ebook for a fair and honest review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Review: Robin

Review: Body Swap

Review: Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box