Review: Slipper

Slipper Slipper by Hester Velmans
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What if Charles Perrault's story of Cinderella was based on a real story of a real girl he just happens to meet? That is the tale this book tells. It's definitely an adult book with rape, witch hunts, and abuse. It's written very realistically. There is still so much whimsical charm and it includes other fairy tales like mother goose, the frog prince, the emperors new clothes, and of course Cinderella.

The emotional involvement with the characters was there for me and even though Lucinda can be childish, she experiences things in life that make her grow and become an adult. Do you remember the movie Ever After? I kept thinking of that movie as I read this book only change the rating to mature. I highly recommend to adults who live fairy tale retellings and historical fiction.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of this book for a fair and honest review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Review: Robin

Review: Body Swap

Review: Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box